Working Out Dads
Attention Dads in Melbourne’s West!
We are recruiting now for Dads living and working around Hobsons Bay, Melton, Wyndham, Moonee Valley and Maribyrnong.
Tweddle Child & Family Health Service, in partnership with the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute have launched the second round of Working Out Dads, a ground-breaking parenting program for dads of children aged 0-4 living and working in and around Wyndham, Brimbank, Melton, Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay.
Groups have run in Werribee, Sunshine and Footscray and we are now running new sessions in Altona North, Maribyrnong and Werribee. See below for dates and locations.
The program’s key funding partners, the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare (CFECFW) and The Bennelong Foundation are joined by community sponsors Hede Architects, Alan Mance Motors, The CWA of Footscray, The Seddon Community Bank (Bendigo Bank) and Mr Craig Rowley, proud dad and resident of Melbourne’s west.
Working Out Dads is a free after-hours therapeutic parenting program for dads, held in fitness centres across six western and northern regions of Melbourne. The program features facilitated discussion and exercise, handouts and text messages. Themes cover parenting, relationships, mental health, fitness and well-being.
The objective of Working Out Dads is to connect, support and strengthen the capacity of dads in the very early years of parenting. There is also a goal to become less isolated and more resilient and supportive during the transition to early parenting and to promote healthy lifestyle choices.
Working Out Dads will be evaluated by the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute. Dads will be asked to complete surveys on three occasions; before they begin the program, after the complete the program and a final survey 3 months later. Participants will receive a $25 gift card at the completion of each of the three survey occasions.
The Working Out Dads evaluation aims to address a significant gap in knowledge about the effectiveness of early intervention and prevention approaches to promote the health and well-being of fathers in the early years of parenting, to inform policy and best practice in promoting the mental health of fathers and the prevention of family conflict.
Run by a male facilitator, Working Out Dads covers:
- Developing parenting skills and confidence and building positive relationships with your child
- Juggling the needs of your family, work and your own needs
- The changing dynamics of relationships and how to maintain positive adult relationships
- Managing stress and pressure and practical ways to cope when things get tough
- Working on your health, fitness and well-being for you, your child and your family
The Hobsons Bay Dads group will be held at:
- Inspirational Health and Fitness in Altona North
- Six Monday nights commencing October 7pm – 8.30pm
- October 15th, 22nd, 29th, November 5th, 12th, 19th
Download the Working Out Dads Hobsons Bay 2018 flyer for more information
The Inner West Dads group will be held at:
- Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre in Maribyrnong
- Six Wednesday nights commencing October 7pm – 8.30pm
- October 17th, 24th, 31st & November 7th, 14th, 21st
Download the Working Out Dads Melbourne’s Inner West Flyer for more information
The Wyndham / Melton Dads group will be held at:
- Eagle Stadium in Werribee
- Six Thursday nights commencing October 7pm – 8.30pm
- October 18th, 25th & November 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd
Download the Working Out Dads Wyndham and Melton Flyer for more information
Thank you to the following organisations and individuals;
Key Funding Partners
- Mr Craig Rowley, dad and resident of Melbourne’s west