Generation West Babies and Toddlers Need your Voice
Tweddle, health organisations and local councils are joining together to make the health of babies, toddlers, children and families a priority in the November state election.
Generation West is a campaign to help the youngest members of our Western community and their families access vital health care and dental services. Melbourne’s West is experiencing booming population growth – over 40 babies are born here every day. We are raising Melbourne’s future leaders, but we need access to the right infrastructure to give our kids the best start.
Population growth in Melbourne’s West is stretching services. There is an 8 week waiting list for Tweddle’s residential programs to support families in need. Tweddle would like to build a Centre of Early Parenting Excellence, nearly doubling our capacity to care for struggling families, offering an increased 37 residential bedrooms supporting 1,200 families every year at Footscray.
- The West is a great place to live and raise a family. That’s why the population in Melbourne’s West is booming. Over 40 babies are born here every day. That’s over 280 a week, and 14,610 babies a year!
- Population in the West is booming, but we don’t have the infrastructure and services to support our growing communities.
- Our health facilities lack the space and resources they need to cope with our growing population of young people.
- Vulnerable families aren’t getting the support they need to set up their children for healthy, happy lives.
- The first 1000 days of life are crucial to development. They are crucial to making sure children have the best start in life, and the best chance to thrive. But without the right infrastructure and resources, we can’t provide our children with the support they need and deserve.
- Right now, families and children in the West are already missing out. We don’t have the infrastructure and services we need, and with our population booming, things are only going to get worse.
- We have a huge opportunity in front of us – every day we are raising Melbourne’s future leaders. But to do it properly, we need support.
The campaign has five key asks:
A comprehensive review of maternal and paediatric services in Melbourne’s West
A Centre of Parenting Excellence in Melbourne’s West at Tweddle
Expanding services for vulnerable families where they live
Boosting dental health for children across the West
More support for new parents before birth and after
It’s time to support Generation West. Here’s How:
Generation West is fronted by regional organisation LeadWest and supported by local health providers, councils, and community groups. Together with their communities in the West, they are calling on local MPs to commit to significant investment in services for the first 1000 days of life ahead of November’s State election.
The more people who are involved, the stronger a voice we will have. Join our campaign. Politicians need to act now to ensure we can meet the needs of the next generation. It’s time to support Generation West. Here’s how you can help;
Connect with us: #GenerationWest #GenWest
Share the pledge; www.generationwest.org.au/join
Like the Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/GenerationWestMelbourne
Website link: https://www.generationwest.org.au/
Follow on Twitter: @generation_west
List of Supporting Organisations